Monday 4 August 2014

Tamil movie madness

Evening of 28/07/14

After going for a huge spicy meal with some of Simi and Sathappan's* family, they all took me to the cinema.
The cinema car park was packed with families and the film started at 11:30. Inside the cinema was HUGE and there were big fans all around which blasted cool air onto the audience. Halfway through the fans made my eyes sting to the point that I could barely keep them open!
My verdict on watching my first Tamil block buster:
The audience was very lively and whistled and screamed from when their favourite actors were mentioned in the opening credits, until the end. I think the film title translated into English was 'man without a job', not such an appealing title to me but the audience were certainly excited!
Halfway through the film at about 90 mins, it abruptly ended and the lights came on. I asked the person next to me if that was it and everyone laughed and told me it was the interval and Indian films typically run for about 3 hours. In that 3 hours, SO MANY things happened in the bizarre plot. The film was like every genre under the sun squished into one film (apparently this is typical of Indian movies.) I liked the loud music and the dancing in the film and although I didn't understand what was being said, I could pick up the gist from the overpronounced facial expressions. The film ended at 1:30am, overall it was a fun and very tiring experience!

*school principle and his wife

No comments:

Post a Comment