Thursday 31 July 2014

On being a foreigner

A little background info: For a month I'll be in India volunteering in a school in the South in the state of Tamil Nadu. This is a travel diary of my experienceces so I'll write what I can, when I can. Some posts may ramble on for paragraphs and some may resemble a postcard in length.

What I've noticed about being the only English person around Trichy:

I get stared at ALOT (this was expected). They aren't threatening stares, more curious ones. One child in my apartment block hides behind a wall and peeks out to look at me. This morning was my first school day here and I felt quite nervous walking out of my apartment through a pathway lined with school children waiting through their morning busses. There were a few curious glances and one wave.

I have never felt like the 'foreigner' before. Having English as my first language has always meant that I've had it easy in most countries I've visited. Most places I've stayed have been catered towards tourists or are European countries that understand the British accent well, so this is a completely different experience for me! Staying and teaching in the south of India, in a town that is not a typical tourist hotspot has meant that my mannerisms and sense of humour is not understood so well, so I'm starting to overpronounce everything in the hopes that I'll be understood. Feeling like the foreigner is not a bad thing. I think being English and speaking the universal language, I take being understood for granted. I think it's important to step out of your comfort zone and spend some time standing in other people's shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment